Welcome‎ > ‎

History

In June of 1621, only months after the Pilgrims landed in Plymouth, two Pilgrims came, in peace, to the place known as Titicut, now a portion of North Middleborough, to meet the Indians who had made it known that this was a favorite summer place for many tribes. These men, and others that followed, especially one John Elliot, brought the influence of Christianity to the Indians. By 1675, records show there was a church in what was known as Titicut Parish.




By 1743, sixteen people living here, attending churches in Bridgewater and at the Green in East Middleborough, sought permission from the Massachusetts Bay Governor to establish their own parish. It took almost six years to obtain such permission. Meanwhile, in 1647, three Indians, James Thomas, Job Ahanton, and Stephen David, gave thirtyeight and three quarters acres of land for "a meeting house to stand on, for a Burying Place, and for a training field". There is a monument in the Titicut Cemetery honoring these men, one of whom is buried on the site.


The first known building was located on what is now Pleasant Street, across from the home of Jeanne Roberts. According to our records, it was a barn-like structure set in the midst of a forest of unsurpassed beauty. Men and women sat on different sides of the sanctuary with the Indians "set off in a distant pew, out of the way, high over the stairs".


At least four buildings have been erected on or near the site of today's church. The present church, with its Cyprus wood interior, was built in 1893, after lightning destroyed the previous "traditional white New England" church building. The Hutchings organ, clock and bell were gifts from Enoch, Isaac and Jeremiah Pratt.

The parsonage, built in 1818, stands across the street from the church. Titicut Green faces the church, Pleasant and Plymouth Streets. Titicut Cemetery is next to the church.

We remain today as Titicut Parish and the North Congregational Church, United Church of Christ. As history has shown and today confirms, we are a diverse, supportive, interdependent group of Christians, community-oriented, caring and sharing.



Comments